Guidelines for Teachers of the Word
Are a teacher of the Word? Are you a shepherd to your flock? It doesn’t matter if you teach or preach to millions, a few friends, or our own children- these words are for everyone . I went through some scripture to find out what the Lord expects of those who teach. There is much more than what I wrote here- but could take me years to compile the list.
Remember: There are different kinds of spiritual gifts, but the same Spirit is the source of them all. There are different kinds of service, but we serve the same Lord. God works in different ways, but it is the same God who does the work in all of us. A spiritual gift is given to each of us so we can help each other….. He alone decides which gift each person should have.
Now you are the body of Christ, and members individually. And God has appointed these in the church: first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, varieties of tongues. Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Are all workers of miracles? Do all have gifts of healings? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret? But earnestly desire the best gifts. And yet I show you a more excellent way.
42 Biblical Guidelines for teachers
1. Teach the Lord’s ways and the way of righteousness.
2. Prepare your heart with all determination to seek Him ( Ezra 7)
3. Prepare your heart to do this and not to give up or quit.
4. Teach with God’s wisdom, not your own
5. Don’t teach from doctrines or the commands of Men (Matt 15:9, Mk7:7)
6. Teach others to observe all the things Jesus commanded us (love, mercy, forgiveness, etc)
7. Teach and Preach the Word of the Lord.
8. Teach these things that concern the Lord Jesus Christ with all confidence and boldness. Don’t let anyone stop you-(Acts 28:31)
9. Teach every man in all (God’s) wisdom, warning every man that we may present every man perfect in Christ.
10. Teach and lead others along God’s path as a loving shepherd lead His sheep.Mk 6:34
11. Teach them of things to come Mk 8:31
12. Don’t stop teaching about Jesus Christ- don’t give up
13. Be blameless, trustworthy, and of good behavior giving often to hospitality.1T3:2
14. Teach others to teach- teach faithful men to teach. Commit the truth to these faithful men
15. Teachers must be gentle, patient and do not allow the teaching of anything ungodly.
16. Let the Lord’s commands be your constant guide Ps 119:99
17. Study the Word of god with all determination Ezra 7:10
18. Obey the Lord and His Words.
19. Teach His doctrines and regulations to the people.
20. Don’t miss the point of your purpose.
21. Don’t spend your time in meaningless discussions.
22. Your purpose in teaching this good news is to have all believers be filled with love that comes from a pure heart, a clear conscience, and genuine faith
23. Always check your pride. Psalms 131 always helps me with this. When the enemy throws wrong thoughts and false ideas in my head- I fix my thoughts and don’t let it enter (Phil 4:8) BUT if I’m caught off guard and some ungodly pride tries to come in- Psalm 131 is my weapon and my sword. It always destroys and smashes any hidden haughtiness or pride that might have snuck in. I try to recite it before every prayer- this psalm is supernatural for me. It calms me down and gets me quieted down in my heart and mind preparing me before I go to the Lord. It calms my mind when my thoughts are racing and I feel wound up. It brings a quiet peace over me. Ps 131 is my secret weapon.
Lord, my heart is not proud my eyes are not haughty.
I don’t concern myself with matters too great or too awesome for me to grasp.
Instead, I have calmed and quieted myself,
like a weaned child who no longer cries for its mother’s milk.
Yes, like a weaned child is my soul within me.
O Israel, put your hope in the LORD— now and always.
One gift is not greater than the other. We are all part of one body.
24. Cling to your faith in Christ and keep your conscience clear. Don’t grieve the Holy Spirit with the things you allow yourself to see, hear, say or go. Be careful! Don’t let your faith get shipwrecked 1 Tim 1:19
25. Be Prepared for opposition- A time is coming ( and I believe it is here) when people will no longer listen to sound and wholesome teaching. They will follow their own desires and will look for teachers who will tell them whatever their itching ears want to hear
26. Don’t preach for man’s approval
27. Don’t teach for man’s approval. Fear God.
28. Work hard so you can present yourself to God and receive His approval
29. Work hard at telling others the good news.
30. Fully carry out the ministry the Lord has given you
31. Don’t be afraid of suffering for the Lord
32. Keep a clear mind in every situation 2 tim 4:5
33. Endure Suffering
34. Stand up! Don’t quit! Your enemy wants to make you feel defeated and make you feel bound and held back- but you know you are NOT! You have the power of God living inside of you.
35. Stand up strong soldier for Christ – don’t get involved and tied up in the affairs of civilian life
36. Teach the Good News- that Jesus Christ, a descendant of King David was raised from the dead.
37. Always be ready to share your faith
38. Know how to correctly explain the Word of Truth 2 Tim 2:11-13
39. Be kind to everyone (even difficult people)
40. Gently instruct those who oppose the truth, perhaps God will change their hearts. ( and remember: we do God’s work and He does the rest. Send out His Word, and He makes sure it does not come back void (Is 55) We pray for healing and He does the healing- Do what the Lord calls you to do and be confident in this :that He who began this good work in you will make sure it is carried on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. Phil 1:6)
41. And you yourself must be an example to them by doing good works of every kind. Let everything you do reflect the integrity and seriousness of your teaching. Titus 2:7
42. Free those in captivity, set the prisoners free. Do the works Jesus showed us bringing all glory to God the Father and the Son and the Holy Ghost. We must become less and less and He MUST BECOME MORE AND MORE.
Never give up! Run to Win! Dust yourself off and Keep on Keeping ON
Be Strong in the Lord and the in the Power of His Might. The Lord wants you to be aware that your enemy the devil wants to destroy, discourage and make you feel defeated. You must remember the Power of God lives within you. You must continue on and be determined to never quit or give up! Practice controlling your thoughts. If someone says something negative or mocks you- decide not to ponder on it. Practice Philippians 4:8 and Fix your thoughts, stay focused and stand strong.
Remember what the great men of the bible went through like Jeremiah, Elijah, Isaiah – they certainly did not live an easy life. I noticed that satan has certain targets, for example – Job- a goldly and innocent man, and Daniel- how the angel of Persia tried to interfere with Daniel’s prayers, and also Peter- Jesus told Peter that Satan had asked to sift him like wheat.
Don’t find it a strange thing if you are not well liked, if you are mocked or hated. Never give up and Never quit! Rejoice in your trials and tribulations and count it all joy when you fall into various trials.
And I venture this one thing more- if you are not suffering for the sake of the good news, enduring hardship, mocked, hated by the world or rejected in some way for your teaching or beliefs……. I wonder- is their something more the Lord has called you to do and you have not stepped out and obeyed?
If we don’t Love others we are just a bunch of noisemakers
“And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am both nothing.
“for the gracious hand of his God was on him for Ezra had devoted himself to the study and observance of the Law of the LORD, and to teaching its decrees and laws in Israel” Ezra 7:9-10
Similarly, encourage the young men to be self-controlled. In everything set them an example by doing what is good. In your teaching show integrity, seriousness and soundness of speech that cannot be condemned, so that those who oppose you may be ashamed because they have nothing bad to say about us. Titus 2:6-8
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work. 2 Tim 3:16-17
Devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to preaching and to teaching. Tim 4:13
2 John 1:9 Anyone who runs ahead and does not continue in the teaching of Christ does not have God; whoever continues in the teaching has both the Father and the Son.
Acts 5:42 Day after day, in the temple courts and from house to house, they never stopped teaching and proclaiming the good news that Jesus is the Messiah.
We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us….if it is teaching, then teach. Romans 12