More information: Samaritan’s Purse (drop off locations and box information listed below)
Use an empty cardboard or plastic shoebox (average size). You can wrap the box, lid separately, but wrapping is not required.
Boy or Girl
Decide whether your gift will be for a boy or a girl, and the age category: 2-4, 5-9, or 10-14. Download and print the appropriate boy/girl label. Mark the correct age category and tape the label to the top of your box.
Fill With Gifts
Fill the box with a variety of gifts that will bring delight to a child (see Gift Suggestions below).
Include $7 Donation Per Box
Help cover shipping and other costs related to delivering your shoeboxes to children overseas by donating $7 for each gift you prepare. You can give online to discover the destination of your box. Or, you can write a check to Samaritan’s Purse (note “OCC” on the memo line) and place it in an envelope on top of the items inside your shoebox. If you are preparing multiple gifts, please make one combined donation. Note: Follow Your Box is only available through online giving.
Remember to Pray for the children who will receive your shoebox gifts.
Place a rubber band around each closed shoebox and bring it to the drop-off location nearest you during National Collection Week, November 18–25. Visit our Drop-off Locations page to find the closest collection site. Or, call 1-800-353-5949.
Instructions & Labels Includes large-print instructions, gift suggestions, and labels.
- Toys: Include items that children will immediately embrace such as dolls, toy trucks, stuffed animals, kazoos, harmonicas, yo-yos, jump ropes, balls, toys that light up and make noise (with extra batteries), etc.
- School Supplies: Pens, pencils and sharpeners, crayons or markers, stamps and ink pad sets, writing pads or paper, solar calculators, coloring and picture books, etc.
- Hygiene Items: Toothbrush, mild bar soap (in a plastic bag), comb, washcloth, etc.
- Accessories: T-shirts, socks, ball caps, sunglasses, hair clips, toy jewelry, watches, flashlights (with extra batteries).
- A Personal Note: You may enclose a note to the child and a photo of yourself or your family. If you include your name and address, the child may write back.
- Do Not Include: Used or damaged items; war-related items such as toy guns, knives or military figures; chocolate or food; out-of-date candy; liquids or lotions; medications or vitamins; breakable items such as snow globes or glass containers; aerosol cans.drop off locations: Drop off locations for Operation Christian Child