Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.
Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
Did you notice that we are only given one weapon and everything else is for protection. The word of God is your most powerful weapon- the Sword- it is all we need, yet we are told to be fully protected and ready for strikes at any time, anywhere.
You are the devil’s enemy. We must always be ready, alert and prepared for battle. Be Strong in the Lord and the Power of His Might. Through scripture, we are given information on our enemy, his tactics, his wiles, schemes, plans, motives, weapons. The devil knows he has little time left and Revelation 12:12 says “he has come down to you in great anger”, but Praise God! For the Lord has made it possible that we can be more than conquerors through Christ Jesus.
YOU HAVE AN ENEMY
1 Peter 5:8 Tells us to STAY ALERT! Watch out for your great enemy, the devil. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour. Stand firm against him, and be strong in your faith. Remember that your Christian brothers and sisters all over the world are going through the same kind of suffering you are.
John 10:10 The thiefs purpose is to kill steal and destroy. He hates you and wants you cut off completely from God forever.
4 kinds of spirit rebels:
- Principalities – Chief rulers
- Authorities and powers- execute will of the chief rulers
- Rulers of darkness, spirit world rulers (Daniel 10:13-25- Prince of the kingdom of Persia)
- Spiritual wickedness in high places
- He Deceives people- he turns wrong into right and right into wrong
- Wears us down (http://thewarrioranointing.com/2012/06/08/wearing-out-the-saints-of-the-most-high/) -Daniel 7:25
- Fills believers with doubt and discouragement
- Manipulates God’s word in our mind to deceive us- whispering false ideas into the minds of people, tells us to reinterpret scripture, mixing truth and error
- Chokes out the word of God (literally)
- Steals the word of God and His Promises from our heart with worldly desires of wealth, fame, and materials
- They must obey Jesus Mark 1:27 Amazement gripped the audience, and they began to discuss what had happened. “What sort of new teaching is this?” they asked excitedly. “It has such authority! Even evil spirits obey his orders!”
he is the accuser of the brethren (Job)
- He is a thief and his purpose is to steal and kill and destroy. The Lord’s purpose is to give you a rich and satisfying life. John 10:10
- He is the prince of demons luke11 :15
- Tries to put the fire of the Holy Spirit that is within us through battles and trials we face daily, trying to wear us out. Daniel 7:25. We don’t see it, but the there are invisible demonic attacks that we often think or blame on people or circumstances. These demons try to destroy your faith and distract you from praying and remembering God’s promises and love for you
- The spirit behind all who refuse to acknowledge Jesus
- Tries to hinder our prayers (Daniel 10:13-25)
- he works through people and circumstances in your life (see #9)
- Keeps people in bondage and captivity Luke 13:16 so they can ultimately cut them off from God. This is symbolic of the demonic hands of captivity. “the evil deeds of the wicked ensnare them,the cords of their sin hold them fast Prov 5:22 Woe to those who draw sin along with cords of deceit, and wickedness with cart ropes, Isaiah 5:18
- Try to master and control us : ” If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door;it desires to have you, but you must rule over it.” Our enemy tries to control us , he waits for an open door of opportunity.
- Satan is called the ruler of this world
- he requests to shift us: he asked to shift Peter or cause him chaos, just like he did with Job.
- he also entered into Judas Iscariot to betrayed Jesus. (Notice Satan entered Judas when he had eaten the bread- remember to keep the holy communion holy-“So then, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord. Everyone ought to examine themselves before they eat of the bread and drink from the cup. For those who eat and drink without discerning the body of Christ eat and drink judgment on themselves. That is why many among you are weak and sick, and a number of you have fallen asleep.” – maybe this was the open door for Satan to enter Judas with evil intent and ideas, not treating the bread holy, as it was – John 13:27, 1 Cor 11:27)
- He is the father of all lies, Acts 5:3- Don’t let the evil one deceive you into lying, apparently this allows satan to enter your heart- you can’t lie to the holy spirit and how can two walk together who don’t agree?
- He tempts you so you fall astray 1 cor 7:5
- He is full of plans, schemes and wiles. Don’t let him outsmart you. Put your armor, stay focused. Be as wise as a serpent and gentle as a dove.2 Cor 4:4
- He disguises himself as an angel of light 2 Corinthians 11:14 The means he deceives, he comes to people as an angel of light with deceiving messages and false doctrines. He uses God’s word to fool people mixing truth and error to pull people off God’s path.
- He has messengers that are sent out to hurt people- thorns in the flesh. Some people have spiritual thorns in their flesh. (it is similar to voodoo dolls) Actually many times, these are spiritual, but cause physical pain 2 Corinthians 12:7“even though I have received such wonderful revelations from God. So to keep me from becoming proud, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger from Satan to torment me and keep me from becoming proud.” Remember Jesus came to set you free, if you feel you have thorns, claim the mighty name of Jesus and be set free. He will free you and He will heal you. He will bandage up your wounds and you will soon recover. *****However, and at the same time, there are other thorns that God allows to be there. Consider Paul had a thorn in his flesh in 2 Corinthians 12: 17 and even though Paul prayed, the thorn remained and scripture says it was there almost as a source to keep him humble. Is that always the case? I don’t know, but in this instance, if you have prayed, I would keep praying and always stand firm with endurance in all things. I like to think of Jeremiah 17:7-8, calling on God’s valiant warriors to stand unshakable no matter what comes your way. God see’s and God knows your pain, so in this there is hope and hope is a precious anchor for our souls. Stand firm!
- He does everything he can to prevent the teaching of the Good News. He tried to stop Paul many times (wind/storms) 1 thes 2:8. I noticed in scripture when Jesus was in the boat with the disciples and the terrible wind storm came, Jesus said “I rebuke you, Peace!” I remembered the old testament verse that says he makes his servants like fire and the angels like wind. I wonder if this wind storm were satan’s angels trying to kill Jesus and his disciples? Luke 8 When Jesus woke up, he rebuked the wind and the raging waves. Suddenly the storm stopped and all was calm. 25 Then he asked them, “Where is your faith?” The disciples were terrified and amazed. “Who is this man?” they asked each other. “When he gives a command, even the wind and waves obey him!”
- He has the power to produce counterfeit signs and miracle and works through false teachers to perform this 2 Thessalonians 2:9:This man will come to do the work of Satan with counterfeit power and signs and miracles.
- He is the ruler of this age and world and he has his throne here on earth : Revelation 2:13“I know that you live in the city where Satan has his throne, yet you have remained loyal to me. You refused to deny me even when Antipas, my faithful witness, was martyred among you there in Satan’s city.
- The author of false teachings and doctrines: Revelation 2:24 “But I also have a message for the rest of you in Thyatira who have not followed this false teaching (‘deeper truths,’ as they call them—depths of Satan, actually). I will ask nothing more of you
- The deceiver. He is the great dragon, the devil,the serpent, the one deceiving the whole world. Revelation 12:9: This great dragon—the ancient serpent called the devil, or Satan, the one deceiving the whole world—was thrown down to the- earth with all his angels.
- He deceives entire nations. Revelation 19-20
- Ephesians 3:10 :God’s purpose in all this was to use the church to display his wisdom in its rich variety to all the unseen rulers and authorities in the heavenly places.
- Ephesians 6:12: For we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places.
- He is the spirit at work in the hearts of those who refuse to obey God. Ephesians 2:2 : You used to live in sin, just like the rest of the world, obeying the devil—the commander of the powers in the unseen world. He is the spirit at work in the hearts of those who refuse to obey God.
- They live in some people. 43 “When an evil[f] spirit leaves a person, it goes into the desert, seeking rest but finding none. 44 Then it says, ‘I will return to the person I came from.’ So it returns and finds its former home empty, swept, and in order. 45 Then the spirit finds seven other spirits more evil than itself, and they all enter the person and live there. And so that person is worse off than before. That will be the experience of this evil generation.”
- Evil spirits have been known to bring sickness, disease, death, muteness, convulsions and trying to kill the people they live in by throwing them into fires and waters to drown them
- They know Jesus and know they must obey Him, they are subject to the authority of Jesus Mark 5:9-13
- They can possess children Mark 7:25
- They cause muteness. Mark 9:17
- These evil spirits can make a person unable to hear or speak . Mark 9:25: When Jesus saw that the crowd of onlookers was growing, he rebuked the evil spirit. “Listen, you spirit that makes this boy unable to hear and speak,” he said. “I command you to come out of this child and never enter him again!”
- Mary Magdalene has 7 evil spirits in her and the Lord Jesus cast them out and she became one of His followers and loved the Lord with all her heart. (There’s hope!)
- When they possess a person, they can give them super human strength. Luke 8:29 For Jesus had already commanded the evil spirit to come out of him. This spirit had often taken control of the man. Even when he was placed under guard and put in chains and shackles, he simply broke them and rushed out into the wilderness, completely under the demon’s power. Acts 19:16
- When an evil spirit leaves a person, it tries to come back- with more demons Luke 11:24“When an evil spirit leaves a person, it goes into the desert, searching for rest. But when it finds none, it says, ‘I will return to the person I came from.’ So it returns and finds that its former home is all swept and in order. Then the spirit finds seven other spirits more evil than itself, and they all enter the person and live there. And so that person is worse off than before.”
- From the verse above, we know that some spirits are more wicked than others.
- One of his schemes is waiting and knowing when the right opportunity arises for attach- when he sees you weak, tired, worn out or in a struggle. Consider when Jesus was tempted in the desert. He was weak and hungry and the devil was pestering him, tempting him and offering him all the world had to offer- ruling nations, wealth- but this was all a lie. Luke 4:13 When the devil had finished tempting Jesus, he left him until the next opportunity came.
- They cause people to scream when they were around Jesus and when they were cast out, it seems, as I read through the scripture that there were many times Jesus had to silence them. Other times they screamed when they were around Jesus and screamed when they came out of people. I wonder if this was to intimidate people so they wouldn’t cast them out in Jesus name also.
- The devil tries to take the message of the Good News and the gospel out of the hearts of people to prevent them from believing and being saved. He will do anything he can to keep people from believing.Luke 8
- They don’t want to go to the bottomless pit and begged the Lord if they could go somewhere else. Luke 8“Legion,” he replied, for he was filled with many demons. 31 The demons kept begging Jesus not to send them into the bottomless pit
- The Lord called Judas a devil. A person controlled by a demon is a devil? Judas was a person but Jesus knew that Satan would enter him when Judas ate the bread at the last supper…so does any spirit or any man controlled by Satan therefore a devil? John 6:70 70 Jesus answered them, “Did I not choose you, the twelve, and one of you is a devil?” 71 He spoke of Judas Iscariot, the son of Simon, for it was he who would betray Him, being one of the twelve.
- Ok, more : Jesus called the religious Pharisees children of the devil. John 8: 42 Jesus told them, “If God were your Father, you would love me, because I have come to you from God. I am not here on my own, but he sent me. Why can’t you understand what I am saying? It’s because you can’t even hear me! For you are the children of your father the devil, and you love to do the evil things he does. He was a murderer from the beginning. He has always hated the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, it is consistent with his character; for he is a liar and the father of lies. So when I tell the truth, you just naturally don’t believe me! Which of you can truthfully accuse me of sin? And since I am telling you the truth, why don’t you believe me? Anyone who belongs to God listens gladly to the words of God. But you don’t listen because you don’t belong to God.”
- The devil is a murderer, a hater of the truth and there is no truth in him.
- He is the father of all lies
- Anyone who doesn’t listen to the words of God does not belong to God and anyone who does not belong to God belongs to their father the devil , making them devils.
- And more- people are called sons of the devil, Acts 13 9 Saul, also known as Paul, was filled with the Holy Spirit, and he looked the sorcerer in the eye. Then he said, “You son of the devil, full of every sort of deceit and fraud, and enemy of all that is good! Will you never stop perverting the true ways of the Lord? 11 Watch now, for the Lord has laid his hand of punishment upon you, and you will be struck blind. You will not see the sunlight for some time.” Instantly mist and darkness came over the man’s eyes, and he began groping around begging for someone to take his hand and lead him.
- Sorcery and witchcraft is an open door for possession of evil spirits who are full of every sort of deceit and fraud and enemies of all that is good. They, according to the words of Paul –through the Holy Spirit are sons of the devil and children of the devil. But we are children of the Most High God who loved us so much He sent His only son to redeem us, save us and graft us into His holy Family. We are children of God.
- They pervert the ways of the Lord
- He prompts/nudges/ pushes/ entices/manipulates/ deceives people to sin. He’s crafty and ready at any opportunity, cunning and whispering lies, hatred and murder in the minds and hearts of man. John 13:2 It was time for supper, and the devil had already prompted Judas, son of Simon Iscariot, to betray Jesus.
- Fortune tellers are controlled by demons; Acts 16:16 One day as we were going down to the place of prayer, we met a demon-possessed slave girl. She was a fortune-teller who earned a lot of money for her masters.
- No angel or demon or power of hell can separate you from God’s love. That is yea and amen! Romans 8:38
- You belong to one or the other. All sacrifices to idols are offered to demons, not God.” What am I trying to say? Am I saying that food offered to idols has some significance, or that idols are real gods? No, not at all. I am saying that these sacrifices are offered to demons, not to God. And I don’t want you to participate with demons. You cannot drink from the cup of the Lord and from the cup of demons, too. You cannot eat at the Lord’s Table and at the table of demons, too”.- (What is the 1st commandment) this is interesting because it seems the people were mixing religions with God putting them together so they thought they were okay- sound familiar?)
- Like I said, you belong to one or the other.2 Corinthians 614 Don’t team up with those who are unbelievers. How can righteousness be a partner with wickedness? How can light live with darkness? 15 What harmony can there be between Christ and the devil[a]? How can a believer be a partner with an unbeliever? 16 And what union can there be between God’s temple and idols? For we are the temple of the living God. As God said:“I will live in them and walk among them.I will be their God,and they will be my people.
- An eternal fire is prepared for him.Matthew 25:41 “Then He will also say to those on the left hand, ‘Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels”
- He continually chants lies over and over again. He tells you lies about others, lies about yourself and he tells you that you can’t do anything. you can’t you can’t he chants continually, be aware.
- The devil is the commander of the powers in the unseen world. He is the spirit at work in the hearts of those who refuse to obey God. Let’s think about this- he is trying to control the world through his invisible army of demonic angels. Anyone who lives in sin and refuses to obey the Lord has the devil at work in their heart.
- The world obeys the devil, you are a new and different person, not of this World. Ephesians 2:2You used to live in sin, just like the rest of the world, obeying the devil—the commander of the powers in the unseen world. He is the spirit at work in the hearts of those who refuse to obey God.
- He works in the heart- that ‘s where he goes to conquer people. When I lived in sin like the rest of the world, I was deceived and had no idea I was obeying the devil, but I was. When we live in sin, drunken parties and wickedness, we are allowing the devil to work in our hearts because they are obeying the devil- yet so deceived, they believe they are good and the devil continues to blind them from the truth
- Anger is another open door to devil Eph 4:26 26 And “don’t sin by letting anger control you.” Don’t let the sun go down while you are still angry, for anger gives a foothold to the devil. Gen 4:7 If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must master it.”- sin is crouching at the door- the devil has schemes and waits for an opportune time. Don’t go to bed angry- and be angry and sin not. If this is difficult to grasp- imagine the last time you got angry—did you control yourself and stay calm watching your words or did you fly into a frenzy with profanity coming out of the same mouth that sings praises to God? See, that’s where sin jumps in- the sin sitting at your door ready to control you, but you must control it.
- You have mighty protection against all this- and through the armor the Lord has given you , you can stand firm against all the strategies of the devil. –but you must put on your armor. Ephesians 6:11:Put on all of God’s armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies of the devil.
- He throws fiery darts at you, you can’t see them, but they are flaming arrows of lies, blasphemy, wickedness and evil that are shot into your mind. The Lord showed me this one day after I had asked the Lord to help me understand. I could see arrows shot into my mind, but I stopped them immediately, some without even realizing it. The ultimate goal of the darts or lies was to go into your mind, into your thinking, into your thoughts, and eventually into your heart- giving another foothold to the devil. This is why it is so important, and told to us in scripture to fix our thoughts- think on things that are true, holy, praiseworthy, noble, etc. You don’t have to entertain every thought you think. Kay Arthur says to “frisk that thought when it comes in” and get rid of it if it is not holy, true, or worthy of praise. I pretend they are mosquitos and I smash them when they come in and refuse to let them enter. Not every thought you think is from you, there are some from your enemy-so use your shield of faith to put out all those lies that have no power of you- you child of the King.
- If murder is like hatred and rebellion is like witchcraft, then both rebellion and hatred, as murder and sorcery open another door to evil to enter one’s life. Stay far away from hatred, pray rebellion out of your children.
- The devil is after the leaders in the church and works through pride- Pride is like a deceiving snake hidden so well even the elect don’t notice it. Check your heart daily for pride- I believe this is the enemies’ easiest tactic to bring down believers. 1 Timothy 3:6 An elder must not be a new believer, because he might become proud, and the devil would cause him to fall.
- He sets you up in traps- I wonder if that is what happened to Peter? 1 Timothy 3:7 Also, people outside the church must speak well of him so that he will not be disgraced and fall into the devil’s trap.
- They teach deceptive teachings: Demons are the ones behind every false teaching and deceptive trap. 1 Timothy 4:1 Now the Holy Spirit tells us clearly that in the last times some will turn away from the true faith; they will follow deceptive spirits and teachings that come from demons.
- They cause people to turn away from the true faith.
- Be careful of your words- they could cause you to fall into a trap.(The words of the reckless pierce like swords, but the tongue of the wise brings healing. Prov 12:18 The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit. Prov 18:21) Work hard so you can present yourself to God and receive his approval. Be a good worker, one who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly explains the word of truth. Avoid worthless, foolish talk that only leads to more godless behavior. This kind of talk spreads like cancer, as in the case of Hymenaeus and Philetus. They have left the path of truth, claiming that the resurrection of the dead has already occurred; in this way, they have turned some people away from the faith.
- The devil has traps- one is to deceive people so that they oppose the truth. These people have been held captive by him to do whatever he wants. The devil completely controls them.
- More traps- anything that stimulates youthful lusts, but we are instructed to pursue righteous living, faithfulness, love, and peace. 2 Tim 2:22 and be careful of who you are friends with- see also ps 1
- More traps- your companions, who you hang out with, your friends, can righteousness and wickedness walk together? I think not. 2 tim 22 and Ps 1 (see kids bible study)
- He controls people and sets traps- keeps them from learning the truth. 2 Tim 23: -26 Again I say, don’t get involved in foolish, ignorant arguments that only start fights. A servant of the Lord must not quarrel but must be kind to everyone, be able to teach, and be patient with difficult people. Gently instruct those who oppose the truth. Perhaps God will change those people’s hearts, and they will learn the truth. Then they will come to their senses and escape from the devil’s trap. For they have been held captive by him to do whatever he wants
- They tremble in fear at the name of Jesus James 2:19 You say you have faith, for you believe that there is one God. Good for you! Even the demons believe this, and they tremble in terror.
- Jealousy and selfishness are not God’s kind of wisdom. Such things are earthly, unspiritual, and demonic. James 3:15
- He will flee from you when you resist him and submit yourself to God. James 4:So humble yourselves before God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
- Your enemy prowls around looking for someone to devour. Notice he’s looking around. He’s looking for someone, not just anyone, but specifically Christian brothers and sisters. 1 Peter 5:7-97 Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you.8 Stay alert! Watch out for your great enemy, the devil. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour. 9 Stand firm against him, and be strong in your faith. Remember that your Christian brothers and sisters all over the world are going through the same kind of suffering you are.
- He has been sinning since the beginning. 1 John 3:8 But when people keep on sinning, it shows that they belong to the devil, who has been sinning since the beginning. But the Son of God came to destroy the works of the devil.
- 1 John 3:10 So now we can tell who are children of God and who are children of the devil. Anyone who does not live righteously and does not love other believers does not belong to God.
- Be careful: In the same way, these people—who claim authority from their dreams—live immoral lives, defy authority, and scoff at supernatural beings. But even Michael, one of the mightiest of the angels, did not dare accuse the devil of blasphemy, but simply said, “The Lord rebuke you!” (This took place when Michael was arguing with the devil about Moses’ body.) But these people scoff at things they do not understand. Like unthinking animals, they do whatever their instincts tell them, and so they bring about their own destruction. Jude 1:8
- The has thrown people into prison ” Don’t be afraid of what you are about to suffer. The devil will throw some of you into prison to test you. You will suffer for ten days. But if you remain faithful even when facing death, I will give you the crown of life.“Revelation 2:10
- He deceives the whole world :Rev 12:7 7 Then there was war in heaven. Michael and his angels fought against the dragon and his angels. And the dragon lost the battle, and he and his angels were forced out of heaven. This great dragon—the ancient serpent called the devil, or Satan, the one deceiving the whole world—was thrown down to the earth with all his angels.
- The devil declares war on those who keep God’s commandments and maintain their testimony of Jesus
- he is angry with God’s people. Rev 12:15 “Then the dragon tried to drown the woman with a flood of water that flowed from his mouth. But the earth helped her by opening its mouth and swallowing the river that gushed out from the mouth of the dragon. And the dragon was angry at the woman and declared war against the rest of her children—all who keep God’s commandments and maintain their testimony for Jesus.”
- the devil has come down to you in great anger, knowing that he has little time Rev 12:12 Therefore, rejoice, O heavens! And you who live in the heavens, rejoice!But terror will come on the earth and the sea, for the devil has come down to you in great anger, knowing that he has little time.”
- they can do miracles Revelation 16:14 They are demonic spirits who work miracles and go out to all the rulers of the world to gather them for battle against the Lord on that great judgment day of God the Almighty.
- DRUGS? I’m putting this one in here on my own opinion- actually I’ve heard some preachers mention that this is mentioned in revelation by another word. I believe this is another open door for the enemy to enter the lives of people, along with alchohol, gambling and other addictions…but it’s my opinion
- This is his fate: Revelation 20:10 Then the devil, who had deceived them, was thrown into the fiery lake of burning sulfur, joining the beast and the false prophet. There they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.
- Evil spirits can cripple: Luke 13:11he saw a woman who had been crippled by an evil spirit. She had been bent double for eighteen years and was unable to stand up straight.
- Beware of the spirit of Jezebel Revelation 2:20 “But I have this complaint against you. You are permitting that woman—that Jezebel who calls herself a prophet—to lead my servants astray. She teaches them to commit sexual sin and to eat food offered to idols.
- They can be cast out Matthew 10:1 Jesus called his twelve disciples together and gave them authority to cast out evil spirits and to heal every kind of disease and illness.
May the peace and grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with you. May you know the abundant love and grace He has for you. No weapon formed against you shall prosper and every tongue that rises up against you shall be shown to be in the wrong, for this is the heritage of the saints of the Lord.
Always be careful and alert. Put on your armor, praying always and have his praise continually on your lips. Fight back with the SWORD OF THE LORD, which is the word of God. (See Matthew 4 for an example of how Jesus fought back) God is good! and his Mercy endures forever. Amen.