Seeking Wisdom – Do you want wisdom? A wisdom that is far beyond the wisdom of human reasoning……
The first time we see wisdom/ being wise is in Genesis 3:6. It was Eve, she “desired to be wise” and “wanted the wisdom” that the serpent claimed she would receive from eating the fruit. She craved the wisdom she would receive if she disobeyed God. Do you notice how we are so easily deceived? All the devil needs to do is mix a little truth into anything and so many believe the lies he spews into our ears. We need Godly wisdom so we don’t fall into the devils trap. In James 1:5, we are told to ASK for wisdom from our generous God and He will surely give it to you – without rebuke. We can also grow in wisdom as King Solomon did. You will grow in wisdom if you obey Him. Learning, seeking wisdom and growing in understanding never stops – pursue it forever. Wisdom also fills our lives with promises from God.
Do you want this wisdom? Remember it starts with the Fear of the Lord, you cannot attain these promises without this foundation. For more information on the Fear of the Lord, see my last post:
. What’s the next step? ASK for Wisdom. Pray and cry out to God for this wisdom. Want to grow in wisdom? Obey obey obey – that the key to growing in wisdom. Watch out that pride doesn’t slip in, acknowledge daily that the gifts God gives you are not of your own doing. Embrace, love, seek and prize wisdom. Keep your eyes glued on wisdom, let it fill your heart. Continue to walk along His path always growing in understanding and knowledge of His word.
Here are just a few of the Promises that come with God’s wisdom : long life, safety, protection, understanding, saves you from evil people, gives you favor, direction, discretion, wisdom to go in the right direction, keeps you from temptation, brings honor, bright futures and fulfilled hope for what lies ahead. Wisdom will make you great! Wisdom will honor you! Wisdom will guard you! Wisdom will lead you along the right paths! (with all humility and humbleness, because if you let pride slip in, it ruins everything)
Not only do we have these great promises with God’s wisdom, but more specifically, the Lord gives each of us wisdom with specific skills and amazing abilities. He gives us ideas, insight and direction. Look at some of the gifts of wisdom the Lord gave His people:
Examples Wisdom given from God in the bible:
- Skilled craftmen – making garments for the priests – this was gift of wisdom from God Exodus 28:3
- Ability and expertise in all kinds of crafts – Exodus 31:3, 35:31,
- Ability of the engraver, the workman, the weaver Ex 35:35
- Ability to perform any task involved in building, constructing and furnishing Ex 36:1
- Ability and desire to work are gifts of wisdom from God
- Ability to create and decorate – brass 1 Kings 7
- Filled with understanding and wisdom to be leaders Dt 1:13
- Wisdom to plant and harvest, He gives the farmer wisdom Is 28:29: to know how to level the surface, sow the seed, plant in rows, how to grind/crush the flour- all this is from the Lord
- To rule and govern countries – Joseph Acts 7:10, Solomon
- To save nations, countries and families
……off subject, but when I look at the gifts/wisdom/abilities God gave above, I can’t help but think that today’s education has completely eliminated/crushed these abilities/crafts in our culture.
Examples of wise men in the bible:
- Joseph– God gave him favor before Pharaoh and unusual wisdom to govern over all Egypt Acts 7:10
- Joshua filled with spirit of wisdom Dt 34:9. He was chosen and given the responsibility to lead after Moses’ death, to bring the people into the Promised land
- Solomon: first person in bible to ASK for wisdom instead of riches and fame 1 Kings 3, He asked for wisdom in governing people with justice and he kept growing in wisdom, understanding and knowledge
- Zechariah– a man of great wisdom, unusual wisdom. He was the East Gatekeeper 1 Chronicles 26:14
- Ezra given wisdom from God to appoint judges , King Artaxerxes noticed Ezra’s wisdom was from the Lord Ezra 7:25. Ezra was a scribe who spent much of his time studying God’s word, In fact, scripture tells us that God’s hand of graciousness was on Ezra because he was determined to study and obey God’s laws as well as teach those decrees and regulations to the people of Israel
- Hiram of Tyre of tribe of Naphtali, a son of a widow- God filled him with wisdom to create many items of Bronze for King Solomon 1 King 7:12, he created pillars of brass, chapiters on the pillars decorated with pomegranates and lilies, he made the molten sea for the temple and the oxen holding it up. His work was decorated with lions, oxen, cherubim, lilies and pomegranates . He created many more items of brass for King Solomon
- 4 men in Daniel – God gave them an unusual aptitude for understanding every aspect of literature and wisdom Daniel 1:17
- Daniel was 10 times more capable than any magician and enchanter in the kingdom. God have him wisdom, strength and favor Daniel 1-5. He was found to have insight, understanding and wisdom .
- Jesus!!! He was filled with all wisdom, He grew in wisdom and in stature and in favor with God and all the people
- Stephen was full of wisdom and no one could stand against the wisdom and the Spirit with which He spoke. Acts 6:10
……..and many, many more……………………………….
Wise Women in the bible:
- A woman from Tekoa 2 Samuel 14:2- a woman with a great reputation for wisdom who went before the king 2 Sam 14
- Ex 35:26 women whose hearts stirred up in them wisdom spun goats hair
- a wise woman from bel-beth-maacah saved her city when she threw the head of Sheba over the wall to King David’s commander Joab.
- Deborah – a judge of Israel
- Jael – wisdom, strength and courage to deceive and destroy Israel’s enemy, the commander of Canaan’s army named Sisera. “theLord’s victory over Sisera will be at the hands of a woman”
- Esther– beautiful queen of Persia who, through the wisdom and favor from the Lord, saved the Jewish Nation
- Abigail – saved her household from a great slaughter
- The 5 bridesmaids who kept oil in their lamp
- The Proverbs 31 woman
- Lydia – the Lord opened her heart to hear and understand the words of Paul, saving her and all her household Acts 16
- Rahab saved herself and family , some of the women had shrewd tactics like Lot’s daughters, Tamar (Gen 38) who pretended to be a prostitute to sleep with her father in law, Isaacs wife who told Jacob to deceive his father for the inheritance and blessing, Leah who secretly took her sisters place in the wedding bed, and the woman from Tekoa who went before King David, but hey! men were shrewd too- consider Jacob and then Laban, he was a real swindler
…..and many more….I like the Shumanitte woman but I don’t know if she was wise or super persistent
There are many more examples of men and women in the bible filled with God’s wisdom. They saved nations, they saved their families and were able to continue in God’s strength to carry out all that God had planned for their lives. (Wisdom is mentioned 23x in the book of Job. 47x in Proverbs. 26x in Ecclesiastics)
More facts on Wisdom from the wisest man who ever lived : King Solomon:
Fear of the Lord is the foundation and first step before Wisdom. Wisdom is given to us from the Lord. Once we have wisdom, wisdom will lead you to understanding with knowledge. Following that, God will give you discernment, good judgment and disciple. (knowledge of the Holy One results in good judgment, knowledge comes to those with understanding) God’s wisdom founded the earth and preserves it, His understanding created and stretched out the heavens – can we understand or fathom how great this is!?!
Turn your ears to wisdom, ask, pray and cry out for it, for the Lord grants wisdom! It will save you from evil and twisted people, it will save you from temptation. Don’t be impressed with your own wisdom, but shun evil and Fear the Lord. There is much joy to the one who finds wisdom, it is greater than silver and pays more than gold. It is more precious than a ruby, in fact nothing can compare with it.
Wisdom is like a tree of life to all those who seek and hold tightly to her. In fact, seeking and getting wisdom is the wisest thing you can do! If you prize wisdom, she will make you great! Embrace wisdom and she will honor you, love wisdom and she will guard you. God’s wisdom will multiply your days and add years to your life, if you find it, you will have a bright future and your hopes will not be kept short – that is an great promise!!!! Wisdom will keep you safe – Gods wisdom, but those who trust in their own insight are foolish.
Wisdom will lead you along the straight paths. Keep your eyes glued on wisdom from above, don’t be foolish seeking human wisdom. Getting wisdom will benefit you- seek her with all your might. Wisdom is enshrined in an understanding heart. In all this, watch that pride doesn’t slip in. It’s like a silent serpent, like a virus that silently tries to trap you. Check your heart for humility as you seek and grow and wisdom, for pride comes before the fall and humility comes before honor. Seek wisdom from God, not mans wisdom – for no human wisdom can stand against the Lord. For more nuggets of wisdom from King Solomon click here :
Verses to ponder and think about………………..
- James 3:15 For jealousy and selfishness are not God’s kind of wisdom. Such things are earthly, unspiritual, and demonic.
- James 3:17But the wisdom from above is first of all pure. It is also peace loving, gentle at all times, and willing to yield to others. It is full of mercy and the fruit of good deeds. It shows no favoritism and is always sincere.
- Revelation 13:18Wisdom is needed here. Let the one with understanding solve the meaning of the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man. His number is 666.
- The fear of the Lord is true wisdom; to forsake evil is real understanding.’” Job 28:28
- Fear of the Lord is the foundation of true wisdom. All who obey his commandments will grow in wisdom. Psalm 111:10
My thoughts : If I’m jealous and selfish, I’m not living according to God’s ways nor am I walking in the Fear of the Lord. If I am jealous or selfish, I am actually acting in an earthly demonic way – that is terrifying! God’s wisdom is peace loving and gentle – ooohhhh dear – and willing to yield to others. I’m beginning to understand that I am not fully where I want to be yet. I need to work on being gentle, but seriously…. I don’t know if its in me. Was the Shummanite woman gentle? Was Deborah gentle? If I obey the Lord’s commands I will grow in wisdom , aha! that’s the key to growing in wisdom – obedience….and that takes self discipline.
- Psalm 51:6 But you desire honesty from the womb, teaching me wisdom even there.
- Psalm 90:12Teach us to realize the brevity of life, so that we may grow in wisdom.
- Psalm 104:24 O Lord, what a variety of things you have made! In wisdom you have made them all. The earth is full of your creatures.
My thoughts: How does God teach me wisdom in the womb. That is so amazing! He must fill us with wisdom (errr some of us) or perhaps that verse was speaking of Jesus, hmm no I don’t think so, I just read the chapter. Really amazing that not only do we receive wisdom, but we can grow in wisdom. That gives me hope. God made us in His image. He is the Creator and He wants to give us creative gifts.
- Proverbs 18:4 Wise words are like deep waters; wisdom flows from the wise like a bubbling brook.
- Proverbs 19:8 To acquire wisdom is to love yourself; people who cherish understanding will prosper.
- Proverbs 24:3 A house is built by wisdom and becomes strong through good sense.
- Proverbs 29:15 To discipline a child produces wisdom, but a mother is disgraced by an undisciplined child.
- Proverbs 9:1 Wisdom has built her house; she has carved its seven columns.
- Isaiah 11:2And the Spirit of the Lord will rest on him— the Spirit of wisdom and understanding, the Spirit of counsel and might, the Spirit of knowledge and the fear of the Lord.Out of the stump of David’s family will grow a shoot—
My thoughts: That’s interesting – wise words are like deep waters..like a bubbling brook. When I hear those words I can’t help think of the heart mentioned in Proverbs- beware of what goes in your heart, for out of it flow the issues of life and also Jesus spoke of living water in our hearts. This wisdom goes in our hearts and earlier we read that it its enshrined in understanding. Once this wisdom goes in our heart, it overflows into every area of our life. it also reminds me of the verse in Jeremiah 17:7-8 ‘Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, he shall be like a tree by the rivers” The roots of the tree go deep into the waters and soil and nothing can knock this tree down, nor stop it from producing fruit. To cherish wisdom is to love our own soul. very cool.I need my house to be strong and built right by the Lord, only His wisdom can help me. Discipline produces wisdom, but ugh I feel so tired, when will I see the fruit of discipline? Sometimes I want to give up. God give me wisdom. Okay last verse – I cant help but think of the candles in the tempe – the 7 candles and with that thought, I link it to Isiah 11:2 and the 7 spirits, perhaps they are the 7 pillars or symbolic? I believe their is an order or growth in this way also: Fear of the Lord, Spirit of Knowledge, Spirit of Counsel, Spirit of Might, Spirit of Wisdom, Spirit of Understanding and the Spirit of the Lord.
- Ecclesiastes 2:26God gives wisdom, knowledge, and joy to those who please him. But if a sinner becomes wealthy, God takes the wealth away and gives it to those who please him. This, too, is meaningless—like chasing the wind.
- Ecclesiastes 7:11Wisdom is even better when you have money. Both are a benefit as you go through life.
- Ecclesiastes 7:12 Wisdom and money can get you almost anything, but only wisdom can save your life.
- Ecclesiastes 7:23I have always tried my best to let wisdom guide my thoughts and actions. I said to myself, “I am determined to be wise.” But it didn’t work.
- Ecclesiastes 7:24 Wisdom is always distant and difficult to find.
- Ecclesiastes 7:25 I searched everywhere, determined to find wisdom and to understand the reason for things. I was determined to prove to myself that wickedness is stupid and that foolishness is madness.
- Ecclesiastes 8:1 How wonderful to be wise, to analyze and interpret things.Wisdom lights up a person’s face, softening its harshness.
- Ecclesiastes 9:10 Whatever you do, do well. For when you go to the grave, there will be no work or planning or knowledge or wisdom.
- Ecclesiastes 9:16 So even though wisdom is better than strength, those who are wise will be despised if they are poor. What they say will not be appreciated for long.
- Ecclesiastes 9:18 Better to have wisdom than weapons of war, but one sinner can destroy much that is good.
- Ecclesiastes 10:1As dead flies cause even a bottle of perfume to stink, so a little foolishness spoils great wisdom and honor.
- Ecclesiastes 10:10 Using a dull ax requires great strength, so sharpen the blade. That’s the value of wisdom; it helps you succeed.
So what have we learned? First we must have mastered the Fear of the Lord. Then we must ask for Wisdom. Wisdom only comes from the Lord and we are told to ask and He will give it to us. Ask, pray, cry out for wisdom. Knock, Seek and Ask. We can also grow in this wisdom through obedience. God’s wisdom is filled with gifts and promises for us. It helps us, strengthens us,empowers us to teach others, comfort the weary and lead God’s people. When our leaders today – God’s shepherds stop seeking wisdom,they fail and the flocks scatter. It is so important to seek wisdom. Don’t let finances, advertising and busyness knock you off the path. If you’ve already fallen, time to make a change and get back on track. Gatekeepers, you must continue growing in wisdom and keeping God’s flock from stumbling. Remember not to put your trust in human wisdom and strength. If we boast in anything – it is that we know God. God’s wisdom is pure, it is the knowledge that the message of the cross has the power of God for Salvation. Christ is the wisdom of God and God made him to be wisdom itself. No man can know God through human wisdom, it is only for those who believe.. 1 Cor 1:18 Cor 1:21. 1 Cor 1:24,30.